The Darmasiswa scholarship program was founded back in 1974 and it is a part of the ASEAN initiative. This is why the scholarship program is only accepted applications from students from ASEAN during the first years but fortunately, things have changed and the scholarship program has now extended the list of countries that it accepts. The number of countries that are participating in the Darmasiswa scholarship program right now is more than 185. We also want to mention that the scholarship program is funded and organized by none other than the Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) from the Republic of Indonesia.
Furthermore, the Darmasiswa scholarship program aims to promote and increase the overall interest in the language, art, and culture of the Indonesian people. Not only that, but the founders hope that the scholarship program will provide stronger cultural links and understanding among all participating countries. Now, let’s see what are the benefits and criteria.
Indonesian Government Darmasiswa Scholarship Program: Benefits
- Darmasiswa participants are entitled to get an education at selected tertiary institutions which are in accordance with the learning guidelines standards set by the Ministry.
- Darmasiswa participants are entitled to get academic and non-academic services during the program.
- Darmasiswa participants receive protection for their safety and security while in the campus environment and/or participate in programs organized by tertiary institutions.
- Darmasiswa participants are allowed to take part in activities organized by universities or other institutions with the permission of the managing tertiary institution.
- Darmasiswa participants receive a scholarship component in the form of living expenses and accommodation assistance costs, with the amount as follows:
- The monthly living allowance is Rp2,000,000 (two million rupiahs)
- Boarding assistance of Rp950,000 (nine hundred fifty thousand rupiahs) for region 1 and Rp550,000 (five hundred fifty thousand rupiahs) for region 2.
- Participants get health insurance services through BNI Life providers and BNI Life cards that are distributed to participants at the time of arrival orientation.
- Darmasiswa Participants are given accommodation and transportation during the Program Orientation if the arrival of Participants is according to the arrival schedule determined by the Bureau. If the Darmasiswa participants attend outside the specified schedule, the costs will be borne by each participant.
- Darmasiswa participants will receive a settlement allowance of Rp1,000,000.00 (one million rupiahs).
- Darmasiswa participants can be assisted by the Managing Higher Education and PKLN Bureau of the Ministry of Education and Culture in administering immigration documents.
- Darmasiswa participants are assisted by Managing Universities in finding housing.
Indonesian Government Darmasiswa Scholarship Program: Criteria
Candidates are required to meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Foreign National
- Completed secondary education or equivalent
- Aged 18 years or older but not more than 27 years old
- Able to communicate in English (proven English proficiency certificate)
- In good health as proven by a medical certificate
- Interested in learning art, culture, and history
- Not an alumni of Darmasiswa
- Not currently studying in Indonesia
- Regions: Open for all except Indonesia
Official Letter and Deadline
If you are interested in Indonesian culture, then you should CLICK HERE and access the official website where you can find additional information. The deadline is March 2, 2020.